Living in England

A place to share experience of English and British culture, history, traditions and topical events. Please feel free to add comments about our website or to any of the messages on here. All the comments are moderated before we allow them to be published.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

British Food

According to a poll carried out of 4,903 people by food magazine Olive, tripe is now Britain's most detested food.

Here are the 20 most hated foods in Britain

1. Tripe - Made from the inside of a cow's stomach and was once a firm favourite on the British dining table.
2. Jellied eels - Traditional East End food
3. Deep-fried Mars bar - Served up north in fish and chips shops.
4. Brawn - Meat from the head of a pig
5. Black pudding - A large sausage made from pigs blood, suet and seasonings.
6. Tapioca - A starchy substance extracted from the root of the cassava plant, used for puddings
7. Faggots - Balls of meat mixed with bread and herbs, which is fried or cooked in sauce
8. Marmite - See here
9. Semolina - a coarse form of milled wheat/rice/maize- usually used in puddings and served with jam.
10. Beetroot (in vinegar) - A root vegetable
11. Pickled egg -
12. Haggis - A traditional Scottish dish consisting of a mixture of the minced heart, lungs, and liver of a sheep or calf mixed with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasonings and boiled in the stomach of the slaughtered animal.
13. Sandwich spread
14. Cockles (in vinegar) - sea food
15. Spaghetti hoops
16. Banana custard
17. Chicken tikka masala
18. Kippers
19. Rhubarb
20. Tinned tomato soup

Do you agree? Or are some of the foods in this list your idea of culinary heaven?

6 Comments:

• At April 13, 2006 , Anonymous said...

Banana custard?? That thought took me straight back to childhood! Surely it can't be one of the most hated foods. Pure heaven as I remember it.

• At April 21, 2006 , Anonymous said...

Cockles, Pickled Eggs, Black Pudding and Haggis are all a taste of heaven.

• At April 23, 2006 , Anonymous said...

Chicken Tikka Masala?? That's often voted as one of the Nation's favourite, no?

Haggis and black pudding - how revolting!

• At May 14, 2006 , Anonymous said...

I love spaghetti hoops, marmite, tinned tomato soup, tikka massala, black pudding, and beetroot! How could they possibly have been included in the nations 20 most hated foods?

• At May 25, 2006 , Anonymous said...

I am an American living in California. I lived in London for a year back in 1970, Did A levels at Westminster college in Blackfriars. London was a fantastic place for a 19 year old guy back then. Buying clothes at Carnaby street, Mini skirts were everywhere and the English girls seemed to like Americans back then. I saw Pink Floyd at the roundabout theatre. My family lived out in Kensington, walking around Holand Park and seeing the guinea hens in the spring. I had a close English buddy who lived in the north of london, Golders green. Another buddy lived in Swiss Cottage near Hampstead Heath..Rumor was Paul Mccartney had a house there then. I thought English folks were polite unless you talked in the cinema. or bogardted the joint that used to get passed around in those days. I do miss that fine lebanese hash we used to get on rare ocassions. Whatever. England is piece of paradise to this day. Better weather and they would have a real problem keeping all the Californians out. One my last and finest meal any where was a lunch at Simpsons on the strand. My dear old departed dad insisted I bring my English Girlfreind and meet him on a rainy sunday afternoon in October near Trafagar square. It was a really fine dining,The big silver tray with that roast beef. aml, Rich

• At November 09, 2006 , Anonymous said...

I was born in British Guyana, South America and raised in New York City. I basically grew up with British Traditional attitude and Food, Marmite, was the worse thing that I have ever tasted in my life and continue to be the worse thing that I have ever tasted as an adult as memory serves me. When I watch an eposide of Mr. Bean, I got chills from flashback of my childhood, watching him spreading Marmite on bread. My mother made us eat Marmite when we were going up, I remember holding my lips tightly together, as I run away from my mother and she gave chase to make sure I ate my health food. It was horrible.

Post a Comment

<< Home