Facts before doing the quiz (Click here to go straight to the quiz)
Germinate means a seed starting to grow.
To germinate plants need warmth and water (They do not need light!).
Plants need light, warmth, water, air, nutrients
Pollination is how plants reproduce (make more plants).
How a flower
A bee enters
a flower to get nectar to make honey. As the bee crawls into
the flower the male stamens rub pollen
on the bee's back. The bee then flies to another flower where
stigma collects the pollen.
The pollen travels down to the ovary (seed
box) where it becomes a seed. The ovary swells and becomes a
Seed dispersal - Seeds must get away from the parent
plant in order to get enough space to grow.
in different ways:
- A seed with a wing travels by wind e.g. sycamore.
- A seed with a hook travels on animal
fur or clothing e.g. burr.
- A seed with a jucy fruit is travels
by animals eating the fruit
and excreting the seeds e.g. apple.
- Seeds such as nuts are buried by animals and then forgotten e.g. acorn.
- Some seeds travel by water e.g.coconut and some explode
to scatter their seeds e.g. pea